In Short:Ever wonder how computer data is recovered? What happens to a file when it gets deleted from the recycle bin? How data recovery programs work? How does computer data recovery take place? Read on.
Once I lost my precious data (you know :P) from my hard drive. Then I couldn’t find a way to recover those data. The fact is that i didn’t know there is software’s that can recover most of the forbidden data. Now I know how to recover data(Really; that was a hard experience 🙂 ).
To understand how computer data recovery happens we must first understand what happens when a data file is deleted. Does a file get completely wiped out of the PC once it’s deleted? The answer is – no. First of all a file once deleted just changes addresses and goes in to the recycle bin. The real deletion takes place when it’s deleted from the recycle bin as well. Then the question arises – what happens to the file? Well. The file is right there inside the PC, hiding in the hard disk.
The illusion within the virtual world gives us a false picture of how files are actually stored in the disks. The partitions and the drives that we see on our Windows are not arranged that way in reality. The disk stores files in clusters unlike the way it’s displayed on the monitor.
The Operating System knows what file is stored where. When a file is deleted, the Operating System, like a robot, just removes the file from its list without actually removing it from the hard disk. FAT (File Allocation Table) and MFT (Master File Table) are like contents in a book, which actually maintain the real table of all files stored on the hard disk. So, even if a file is removed from the Operating System its still there on the hard disk and can be searched by looking up at FAT or MFT.
Based on the above theory, some data recovery programs are designed to recover lost data which is due to various reasons.. Computer data recovery involves a few simple steps to recover data. The first step is to determine what type of recovery is required. Accordingly, suitable data recovery program software is installed or run. The search can be confined to a folder or drive. The entire disk can also be scanned. The file type has to be selected to make the search more efficient and quicker. Once these details are fed to the data recovery program it’s only a matter of time that the target, the lost data, pops up along with other lost data. From a list of such files one has to select the target file for which the search was intended and recover it.
Here I show you the most effective data recovery software’s you can trust while recovering your lost data.
Best Data Recovery Softwares
Why the Recuva is the Top. Because, when we ask to a person that what is the Best Data recover Software. Then he suggests Recuva. Because, it won on the Heart of Users. Some factors that makes Recuva to the Top are
- Easy User interface
- Superior file recovery
- Advanced deep scan mode
- Secure overwrite feature that uses industry & military standard deletion techniques
- Ability to recover files from damaged or newly formatted files
A list of best data recovery software can hardly be termed as being complete without a mention of TestDisk. Packed with features and a file recovery system that can easily overshadow that of any other data recovery software, TestDisk has a lot to offer for both novices and experts. Here are some of the TestDisk’s features:
- Allows users to recover/rebuild the boot sector
- Fix or recover deleted partition table besides being able to reliably undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 file systems.
- Available on all major platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X etc and is in fact quite popular as it can be found on various Linux Live CD’s.
Although being a command line tool, TestDisk may not be suitable for some users for data recovery.
With the looks of a typical Office application, the Undelete 360 is built on a fast yet efficient algorithm which enables the user to undelete files. Here are some of the features of Undelete 360:
- Works on a variety of devices such as Digital cameras, USB’s etc.
- It includes a data-wiping tool, a Hex Viewer along with the ability to preview files before recovery.
- Does a great job in recovering recently deleted files as compared to other free data recovery software
- Also able to recover files of a wide variety of types such as DOC, HTML, AVI, MP3, JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
However, scanning speed needs major improvement and it also lags out its competition in terms of recovering data.
Definitely one of the best data recovery software out there, PhotoRec is widely acclaimed for its powerful file recovery over a wide variety of devices ranging from digital cameras to hard-disks. Here are some of the features of PhotoRec recovery tool:
- Compatible with almost all major platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X etc.
- Comes packed with the ability to recover more than 440 different file formats.
- Features such as the ‘unformat function’ and the ability to add your own custom file types do come in handy.
Although I wouldn’t advise this free data recovery software to beginners as it is completely devoid of a GUI and uses a command line interface which may intimidate some users.
Pandora recovery is one of the most reliable and effective best free data recovery software out there. Pandora recovery tool has a lot to offer to its users. Here are some of the features of this tool:
- Ability to recover deleted files from NTFS and FAT-formatted volumes
- Preview deleted files of certain types (image and text files) without performing recovery
- Surface scan ( which allows you to recover data from drives that have been formatted) and the ability to recover archived, hidden, encrypted and compressed files it packs quite a punch.
- Its interface is very easy to get a hang of and provides an explorer-like view along with colour coded & recovery percentage indicators.
However, its file detection system is not that reliable and needs to be improved further. The software could be made portable as well so that it doesn’t consume any space on the hard disk and thereby not consume space that a file which we wish to recover once consumed.
Standard undelete programs like Recuva, Pandora etc. are perfect for recovering a few delted files, but what if when you have lost an entire partition? Then you will probably need a specialist application like MiniTool Partition Recovery. Here are some of the great features of this recovery tool specialized in partition recovery:
- An easy wizard-based interface
- Specialized in data recovery on an entire partition
- Point MiniTool Partition Recovery tool at the problematic drive and it will scan for the missing partition.
- Generates a recovery report which will let you know what the program has found to help you in data recovery
- Can’t use data recovery on a bootable disc here.
Wise data recovery tool is one of the fastest undelete tools among the best data recovery softwares. Besides being faster, it also comes with some of nice features. Here is a list of it’s features:
- Easy and an intuitive interface
- Can recover deleted files from local drives, USB drives, cameras, memory cards, removable media devices etc.
- Faster search filter by selecting in-built file extension groups using the file’s type.
- Compatible from WIndows XP to WIndows 8
Although the scanning is fast, the program has no deep scan mode which it could mean a slightly reduced chance of recovering the most hard to recover files.
Puran file recovery works in 3 main recovery modes. These recovery modes are:
- Default Quick Scan (It simply reads the FAT or NTFS file system for deleted files from the recycle bin etc.)
- Deep Scan (includes scanning all available free space) and,
- Full Scan (checks all space on the device for the best chance of recovery)
- Works from Windows XP to Windows 8
Using the “Find lost files” option turns Puran File Recovery into a tool to recover all files from a lost or damaged partition. Something else you can do is edit the custom scan list which stores file signatures for more accurate recovery of badly damaged data.
PC Inspector File Recovery Works well on both FAT and NTFS drive even if the boot sector has been erased or damaged. Here are some of the features of this recovery tool.
- Simple search dialog to help locating files by name
- Recovered files can be restored in a local hard disk or network drives.
- Can scan just specific areas of the disc with the Cluster scanner
- Works perfectly from Windows XP to Windows 7
However the interface is a little confusing mess of tabs. So, be careful with this tool.
Restoration data recovery program take the final position in the list of top 10 best data recovery software tool. It is no different and is similar to the other free undelete apps on this list. Even if it is on the tenth position, here are a few things that we liked about this data recovery tool:
- Very simple and easy to use
- No confusing and no cryptic buttons or any complicated file recovery procedures
- It can recover data and files from hard drives, memory cards, USB drives, and other external drives as well.
- Does not need to be installed and can run data recovery from a floppy disk or USB drive.
- Supports Windows Vista, XP, 2000, NT, ME, 98, and 95 and also, successfully tested Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- Sometimes, runs into a problem with Windows 8