Hackers are everywhere. They always try to find loopholes and faults of software’s. Hacking is a wonderful hobby, but it can be good or bad. That is determined by our attitude. There are a lot of Hackers in the world. Hackers are divided into Black hat hackers, White hat hackers, Grey hat Hackers etc…
Today We are going to introduce some greatest hackers in the history.We are going to tell a story of Hackers, their work and what happened to them. We are all interested in reading the stories of hackers.We know that there is lot of people other than we mentioned here. But the philosophy is “You can find good hackers anywhere. But you can’t find a Great hacker. He always remain anonymous”
- Jonathan James – I just googled that “Notorious hackers in the world”. Then there is a lot of websites listed. I opened some WebPages. They always showing one name at top ‘Jonathan James’. Do you know he known as comrade in hacking? His history of hacking started at 15 years old.He is the first Juvenile jailed for hacking in United States. At only fifteen years of age, he managed to hack into a number of networks, including those belonging to Bell South, Miami-Dade, the U.S. Department of Defense, and NASA. James hacked into NASA’s network and downloaded enough source code to learn how the International Space Station worked. The total value of the downloaded assets equaled $1.7 million.NASA detected the guilt. They shut down their systems for 3 weeks. Because of that, they had loss, about $41,000. He arrested on January 26, 2000, but James plea-bargained for Home arrest and probation. He later served six months in an Alabama prison after failing a drug test and thus violating his probation. In 2007, a number of high profile companies fell victim to a massive wave of malicious network attacks. In, 2008 James committed suicide. In his suicide note he wrote he was troubled by the justice system and prosecuted for newer crimes.
- Vladimir Levin– Vladimir Levin is a special hacker. He proved that a hacker did not need Internet. He accessed database of city bank in 1995 and re-routed 10 million dollar into other bank accounts around the world. The interesting fact is that he did not use Internet to access database. He tapped into telecommunications systems and listened to customers state their account information. “No mask, No Gun, No note – this was bank robbery for the technological age”. Federal Bureau of Investigation said about their attack. Levin received three years in prison and was ordered to pay back $240,000 to Citibank.
- Gary McKinnon– We can call him Hacker for UFOs. McKinnon claimed that he was only searching for information related to free energy suppression and UFO activity cover-ups. But from February 2001 to March 2002, he illegally gained access to 97 computers belonging to the U.S. Armed Forces and NASA even leaving the military a message on its website: “Your security is crap.” He deleted a number of critical files, rendering over 300 computers inoperable and resulting in over $700,000 in damages. His attack is known as ‘Biggest military computer hack of all time’.Today the hacker re-invented himself as a SEO wizard.
- John McAfee – McAfee lived in Belize. He was try to get back at the Belize government and prove their corruption, he hacked every major computer from Belize government bureaucracies. And he found the evidence against officials.
- Stephen Wozniak – If you know Apple then you should remember his name. Steve Wozniak. Do you know he is a white hacker? He involved in phone phreaking while studying at University of California. Wozniak bypassed the phone system and made devices for friends called “blue boxes” which enabled free long distance phone calls. Amazing fact is that, he reportedly used one of these devices to try and call the Pope.
- Astra – This is not the actual name. He was a Greek hacker. Astra accessed French aviation company Dassault Group computers. And he stealing weapons technology data for more than five years. Astra sold information about jet fighters and military aircrafts to countries during the period spanning the hacks. Astra’s infiltration of Dassault computers apparently cost the company more than $360 million. Astra’s identity, never identified, is described by authorities as a 58year old mathematician. Caught in January 2008, Astra was sentenced to six years in jail.
- Albert Gonzalez – He was a leader of a group of hackers named ‘ShadowCrew’. They would go on to steal 1.5 million credit card numbers and sell them online for profit. ShadowCrew also fabricated fraudulent passports, health insurance cards, and birth certificates for identity theft crimes totaling $4.3 million stolen. Over 2 years he collected more than 170 million credit card and ATM card numbers within 2 years. Amazing fact is, this number is equal to the half of the population in United States. Can you imagine such things?In 2010, Gonzalez was sentenced to prison for 20 years .Make use of website says that 2 sentences of 20 years to be served out simultaneously.
- Kevin Mitnick – Never forgot his name. S. Department of Justice called him the “most wanted computer criminal in U.S. history.” ‘His story is so wild that it was the basis for two featured films’ make use of website says. In early adulthood, he made free calls on hacked cell phones and stole code from companies such as Sun Microsystems and Novell, according to The New York Times. He told the times he even hacked into NSA phone calls.
- Kevin Poulsen – Another Kevin is here. We would like to be famous in the world. But that is not simple. Kevin did that in only 15 minutes. . Media called him “Hannibal Lecter of computer crime”. He had the deep knowledge about telephone systems. He just hacked radio station’s phone connection and fixed himself as the winning caller, earning him a brand new Porsche. Yep! That was an awesome idea. Kevin hacked into federal systems and stole wiretap information. He earned his way onto FBI’s wanted list.He was later captured in a supermarket and sentenced to 51 months in prison. After the releasing from prison, I think everyone changed their attitude. Kevin also changed his way and work. He began working as a journalist. He even helped law enforcement to identify 744 sex offenders on MySpace. Now he is a senior editor for Wired News.
- James Kosta – . “When you look a little deeper, as people did with me, you’re able to get kids focused on their potential,” Said by James Kosta. Have you ever seen the movie ‘Agent Cody Banks’. The story of a boy becomes a CIA agent. The story of the Movie and the history of James Kosta have some relations. James Kosta and his Partners hacked big business and military computers, including major banks, General Electric and IBM. He joined the Navy at 18 years old as an intelligence analyst. At 20 he joined the CIA to track warlords in Africa and Middle East, and at 24 he sold his first dotcom company for millions of dollars. Now he mentors troubled youth to tap their potential.